I know, I’m so late to the party but I really didn’t want to watch the show. I’ve known about it for a long time. I don’t really like following super popular trends and this looked absurd.
I saw a few clips, especially the “karma is a bitch“ vine trend and I knew it was going to be shitty and trashy.
And it is. It might be even worse than “Pretty Little Liars“. And that is saying something.
For those of you who don’t know about the show, it talks about a group of friends who find themselves in the middle of a murder investigation, not knowing who to trust and in the mist of discovering every Riverdale resident’s secrets.
We have four main characters: Archie, Betty, Veronica and Jughead.
I’ve been describing it as “Pretty Little Liars” meets “Gossip Girl” with a dash of “Twin Peaks”.
It drives me crazy because everybody in the show is always looking perfect, never without make up and never looking even a little bit dishevelled. It is fucking ridiculous.
I thought I was going to hate it with all my heart. Just as much as I despise “The Big Bang Theory”.
But I didn’t: I am now obsessed with it.
What really confuses me is the fact that they are also super glamorous, fashionable and always perfect but the atmosphere of the show it’s pretty dark and gloomy. It is probably intentional, at least I hope so, but it’s weird!
There is always this misty, dusty atmosphere and it’s in sharp contrast to the heavy make up and pretty dresses and shirtless guys in every scene.
To be fair, I liked that in the first episodes they dealt with sexism and sexual harassment. The guys of the football team kept a book about their conquests and they sexually harassed the girls at the school. So Veronica and Betty called them out and had one of them suspended. YES! GIRL POWER! I was so happy they did that. The show is watched by teenagers and they need to see that women are believed when they speak up about these things.
Also, I get that it’s sponsored by Cover Girl, but they couldn’t be more obvious about the product placement. It’s so blatant!
(I love it!)
It’s trashy, it’s garbage television but I can’t wait to finish season two and I’m definitely looking forward to this fall, when the show comes back for third season. (According to my app October 10th).
Now… here is a bullet point list of a few things I have yelled at the screen while watching:
- ep 08 = they never said the word “abortion”. Maybe call stuff with its proper name.
- why do they call their parents “Mommy” and “Daddy”? It’s weird.
- this is a murder investigation: wear some gloves, you idiots! Don’t touch the evidence and leave your fingerprints on it, dumb ass!
- they said “bro” so many times!!!!!! Like, constantly! I get it, you’re brothers but NO.
- can you please stop over lining your lips with lipstick? It’s a terrible trend. I hate it.
- Jughead and Jellybean: Worst names ever. But kudos for the originality.
- Betty and Veronica’s kiss in one of the first episodes was unnecessary.
Let me know your thoughts on this show. PLEASE. I need to talk about it.