Here we are with the last part!! I hope you are all caught up with the nominations so you’ll be ready to watch the Emmys on september 18th aka tonight!!
Hope you enjoyed this little “series” as much as I did writing it… 🙂
OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A DRAMA SERIES
- Game of Thrones – “Battle of the bastards” – Miguel Sapochnik
- Downton Abbey – “Episode 9” – Michael Engler
- Game of Thrones – “The Door” – Jack Bender
- Homeland – “The Tradition of Hospitality” – Lesli Linka Glatter
- Thee Knick “This is all we are” – Steven Soderbergh
- Ray Donovan – “Exsuscito” David Hollander
WOW, what a category. Right from the top of my head, I think Miguel Sapochnik deserves it.
The episode was one of the best directed things I have ever seen. The amount of people in it, the horses, basically every single shot WERE PERFECT. PERFECT.
Lesli Linka Glatter is also fantastic! She directed some of my favourite episodes of Homeland (Q&A, Long Time Coming, From A to B and back again).
Downton Abbey’s Michael Engler did an amazing job on the last ep…
Last Year’s Winner: Game of Thrones – “Mother’s Mercy” – David Nutter
WILL WIN: Game of Thrones – “Battle of the bastards” – Miguel Sapochnik
MY WINNER: Game of Thrones – “Battle of the bastards” – Miguel Sapochnik….. But please, give the second Emmy to Lesli Linka Glatter! PLEASE!! SHE IS AMAZING!!
OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A COMEDY SERIES
- Master of None – “Parents” – Aziz Ansari
- Veep – “Morning After” – Chris Addison
- Silicon Valley – “Founder Friendly” – Mike Judge
- Veep – “Kissing your sister” – Davi Mandel
- Silicon Vally – “Daily Active Users” – Alec Berg
- Veep – “Mother” – Dale Stern
- Transparent – “Man on the Land” – Jill Soloway
I have discovered Silicon Valley just this year and I loved it. Geeky, nerdy and the cast is soooo funny!
As I have established this past week, I don’t like “Veep”, so….. Sorry…
In my opinion, it should go to Aziz. The episode is incredible, directed very well, there are time jumps and Aziz was great.
Last Year’s Winner: Transparent – “Best New Girl” – Jill Soloway
WILL WIN: Master of None – “Parents” – Aziz Ansari
MY WINNER: Master of None – “Parents” – Aziz Ansari
OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A VARIETY SERIES
- THE 58th ANNUAL GRAMMY AWARDS – Louis J. Horvitz
- GREASE LIVE! – Thomas Kail, Alex Rudzinski
- ADELE LIVE IN NEW YORK CITY – Beth McCarthy-Miller
- BEYONCE: LEMONADE – Kahlil Joseph, Beyoncé Knowles
- AMY SCHUMER: LIVE AT THE APOLLO – Chris Rock
- 38TH ANNUAL KENNEDY CENTER HONORS – Glenn Weiss
I’m out of my depth here… I LOVED Grease Live… I think they did an amazing job.
Adele’s concert was obviously spectacular because she’s Adele. (Duh)… Haven’t seen the others, (sorry Queen B) so I’d say… GO GREASE!
Last year’s winner: The Daily Show with Jon Stewart – “episode 20103” – Chuck O’Neil.
WILL WIN: BEYONCE: LEMONADE – Kahlil Joseph, Beyoncé Knowles
MY WINNER: GREASE LIVE! – Thomas Kail, Alex Rudzinski
OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A MINISERIES, MOVIE OR DRAMATIC SPECIAL
- ALL THE WAY – Jay Roach
- FARGO – “Before the law” – Noah Hawley
- THE NIGHT MANAGER – Susanne Bier
- AMERICAN CRIME STORY – “From the ashes to tragedy” – Ryan Murphy
- AMERICAN CRIME STORY – “The Race Card” – John Singleton
- AMERICAN CRIME STORY – “Manna From Heaven” – Anthony Hemingway
I have only seen “The Night Manager”, so….
Last Year’s Winner: Olive Kitteridge – Lisa Cholodenko
WILL WIN: no idea
MY WINNER: “The Night Manager” – Susanne Bier
OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A COMEDY SERIES
- CATASTROPHE – “Episode 1” – Rob Delaney, Sharon Horgan
- SILICON VALLEY – “The uptick” – Alec Berg
- MASTER OF NONE – “Parents” – Aziz Ansari, Alan Yang
- VEEP – “Morning After” David Mandel
- SILICON VALLEY – “Founder Friendly” – Dan O’Keefe
- VEEP – “Mother” – Alex Gregory, Peter Huyck
I don’t like “Catastrophe”… and I have seen all the 2 seasons… It just wasn’t my cup of tea…
The episodes of “Silicon Valley” are the first and the last of the season and they are both awesome…
You might think I’m obsessed, but I LOVED “Parents”… I really did… I actually would choose either Silicon or Master of None.
Last Year’s Winner: “Veep” – Election night” – Simon Blackwell, Armando Iannucci, and Tony Roche
WILL WIN: Probably Veep, because it seems like everybody but me loves it.
MY WINNER: Master of None – “Parents” – Aziz Ansari, Alan Yang
OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A DRAMA SERIES
- GAME OF THRONES – “Battle of the Bastards” – David Benioff, D.B. Weiss
- THE GOOD WIFE – “End” – Robert King, Michelle King
- THE AMERICANS – “Persona Non Grata” – Joseph Weisberg, Joel Fields
- MR ROBOT – “eps1.0_hellofriend.mov” – Sam Esmail
- DOWNTON ABBEY – “Episode 8” – Julian Fellowes
- unREAL – “Return” – Marti Noxon, Sarah Gertrude Shapiro
This is difficult. SO DIFFICULT!
unREAL is soooo good!! You get sucked into this shitty world and you see how manipulative and awful people can actually be.
I won’t even talk about Game of Thrones because it was written perfectly. And Mr. Robot!??! Come on!! Spectacular!!!
And could I ever get Downton Abbey out of my mind!? So beautiful!
I won’t choose.. Too difficult.
Last Year’s Winner: Game Of Thrones – “Mother Mercy” – David Benioff, D.B. Weiss
WILL WIN: Game Of Thrones: “Battle Of the Bastards” – David Benioff, D.B. Weiss
MY WINNER: I can’t choose… please don’t make me. (Even though GOT probably deserves it the most)
OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A MINISERIES, MOVIES OR DRAMATIC SPECIAL
- FARGO – “Palindrome” – Noah Hawley
- FARGO – “Loplop” – Robert De Laurentiis
- AMERICAN CRIME STORY – “Marcia, Marcia, Marcia” – D.V. DeVincentis
- AMERICAN CRIME STORY – “From the Ashes to Tragedy” – Scott Alexander, Larry Karaszewki
- AMERICAN CRIME STORY – The Race Cards” – Joe Robert Cole
- THE NIGHT MANAGER – David Farr
Again, I would vote for the only one I have seen: The Night Manager…
Last Year’s Winner: Olive Kitteridge – Jane Anderson
WILL WIN: no idea
MY WINNER: no idea
OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A VARIETY SPECIAL
- AMY SCHUMER: LIVE AT THE APOLLO – Amy Schumer
- TIG NOTARO: BOYISH GIRL INTERRUPTE – Tig Notaro
- JOHN MULANEY: THE COMEBACK KID – John Mulany
- TRIUMPH’S ELECTION SPECIAL 2016
- PATTON OSWALT: TALKING FOR CLAPPING – Patton Oswalt
No idea whatsoever.
Also, WHERE THE HELL IS MY MAN JOHN OLIVER?!?!? LAST YEAR HE WAS NOMINATED!!! NOT HAPPY, EMMYS!
Last Year’s Winner: The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
WILL WIN: no idea
MY WINNER: no idea
OUTSTANDING VARIETY SKETCH SERIES
- ANTHONY BOURDAIN: PARTS UNKNOWN
- INSIDE THE ACTORS STUDIO
- THE STORY OF GOD WITH MORGAN FREEMAN
Yet again. No idea. Never heard of any of this.
Anyway, this is it!
I hope you enjoyed them and that after this you’ll be ready to watch the Emmys TONIGHT! If you live in American you can watch them on ABC and in Italy on channel Rai4 at 1 in the morning!
I’ll be live-tweeting the ceremony, so make sure to follow me on twitter!!@georgiasblog1!